Friday, June 25, 2010

Bubbly company

Last night was dinner at the embassy, in charming company too! We had champers to start (after sinking a few beers at the Radisson with Simon, Miriam and her mum Lucille) to toast Julia Gillard's PMship, then our friend Lisa's accession to the Hon Con for New Zealand, then it was just a general cheers. We were in fact Aussies together to celebrate before the launch of the book by Miriam on the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Nepal and Australia. I think I can safely say a grand old night was had by all, except our poor driver who was waiting outside for us to put our glasses down and go home.
Speaking of which we had a delightful trip to get to the embassy from the Radisson. Being a bunch of cheapskates we decided to get 5 of us plus driver into one car. OMG. I sat on/perched on/squashed Robin's lap in the front seat, while getting a gear stick in unusual places, and having my legendarily bad knees jammed up against the window winder, while my neck was at an angle that usually indicates death by falling down stairs! And on the way home we very kindly gave everyone a lift and I had to do it all again. Needless to say there are bits of me today that don't feel too good!
This afternoon we have the official book launch, where Robin is going to make a speech along with Simon Balderstone (who is a hugely entertaining chap), the Ambassador, the deputy tourism minister and Miriam who wrote the book. I do hope the bubbly stays locked away.... The book has turned out rather well, but it is not for sale so I can't get you a copy, no matter how nicely you ask.
Depending on when the embassy asks us to leave we are then due at a reception on the other side of town at our niece's new home with her in-laws. I think it is really a party for the younger set so we may not stay too long there.
I got absolutely drenched on Wednesday in a storm that went on for about 90 minutes so I think we can say that the monsoon has arrived.
The streets are filled with ladies in sparkly saris as the wedding season is in full swing, and the touts are getting very insistent as there is hardly anyone out and about anymore.
Here's some pics that have nothing to do with today's story:



Robin and I at the Tigers Nest Monastery in Bhutan.










The funky room we stayed in at the Gangtey Palace hotel in Paro, Bhutan. The room above us was haunted - and there was nobody staying in it when we were there but you could hear footsteps and furniture moving anyway. EEK!


Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment